Hello, I am downloading the 100% us 1850 file, and I cannot find a code book with all the variables description.

Hello, I am downloading the 100% us 1850 file, and I cannot find a code book with all the variables description.

When you submit your data extract, you will receive two codebooks (Basic and DDI) on the extract request screen. The DDI codebook will provide variable descriptions for each variable you requested. For more variable information, you can visit the variable descriptions available on the IPUMS-USA website.

If instead what you are interested in is a list of the variables that are available to download for the 1850 100% database, select the 1850 full-count on the sample selection page, and then click “Display Options” on the variable selection page. Here, choose “Show all groups together” under variable groups and “Do not display” for variables that are not available for the selected samples. When these selections are applied, you will be provided with a list of the variables that are available for the 1850 100% database. You can then select a variable and read its description, comparability documentation, and universe statement.

I hope this helps!