IND data missing for PUMAs

Hello, I have question/issue: when I download IPUMS-USA data for IND or INDNAICS for 2009 through at least 2011 (ACS 5-year, or 1-year) - the data is missing for some PUMAS in Texas (e.g., 5901 to at least 5907 in Bexar County, and many other PUMAs, some around Houston, Corpus Christi, and Dallas-Fort Worth, etc.) - but more recent data does have the information, i.e., 2019. I don’t understand why that would be as when the samples are selected for those years they are reported as available, just not when the data is downloaded. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

The reason you don’t see data for certain PUMA’s before 2012 is because in 2012 the ACS started using a different set of PUMA’s based on the 2010 census. Up until 2011 the PUMA’s were based on the 2000 census. Some of the newer PUMA’s have the same boundaries as the earlier PUMA’s, but many do not. You can compare the boundaries of the 2000 and 2010 PUMA’s using this map. The codes page for PUMA also has links to pages giving details on the geographic entities contained in each PUMA.

Thank you greatly - that worked!