How do I distinguish immigrants and native U.S. citizen?

Hi IPUMS team,

I am writing a replication study on status exchange theory using the 5% IPUMS of the 2000 U.S. Census. The hypothesis states that birthplace shapes educational assortative mating patterns via educational homogamy and status exchange (Choi et al., 2011). Testing this hypothesis requires information about nativity (foreign or native) and educational attainment.

I need to generate a table like this:

This is the variables I’ve extracted:

May I ask how do I distinguish immigrants and native U.S. citizen?
From my point of view, under BPL, those who are born in the United States are native. Is this correct?

Many thanks,
Youwen

The variable BPL reports the U.S. state, the outlying U.S. area or territory, or the country where the person was born.

Note that the Census Bureau defines the foreign born population as anyone who is not a U.S. citizen at birth. This includes naturalized U.S. citizens, non-citizen U.S. nationals, lawful permanent residents (immigrants), temporary migrants (such as foreign students), humanitarian migrants (such as refugees and asylees), and unauthorized migrants. The Census Bureau defines the native born population as anyone born in the United States, Puerto Rico, a U.S. Island Area (Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, or the U.S. Virgin Islands), or abroad of a U.S. citizen parent or parents. The BPL variable will not capture these nuances. Depending on your application and prevailing norms in the literature in your field, you may instead be interested in using the variable CITIZEN and restricting your analysis to respondents with values of either 2 (naturalized citizen) or 3 (not a citizen).

I hope this helps. As a side note, it looks like you don’t have the variable SEX in your extract, which you will need to replicate the table.