Availability of FUELHEAT from 1940 and 1950 censuses

Hello,

I am looking for information on the number of households in each county that used natural gas in 1940 and 1950. The variable FUELHEAT has this information from 1960 onwards, specifically with the value code 2 (‘Utility gas from underground pipes serving neighborhood’). According to the Census Bureau the “home heating fuel question originated with the 1940 Census.” However, this variable is not available in the 1940 and 1950 Census microdata available on IPUMS.

I’m wondering whether perhaps there are plans for this 1940 and 1950 data to become availalable on IPUMS in the future, or if there is another source that this information could be accessed?

Thank you in advance for the help!

The question corresponding to the variable FUELHEAT was asked in the 1940 and 1950 Censuses in the housing schedule (the section of the Census about housing). Beginning in 1940, the housing and population schedules from the Census are distinct (housing schedules were typically on the reverse side of the population schedule). Unfortunately, only the population schedules were preserved for 1940, and in 1950, only the population schedules were copied to microfilm; neither is included in IPUMS USA. Beginning in 1960, the housing schedule is reincorporated as part of the long-form (until it is again relocated to the ACS).

Okay, I see. Thank you for the explanation and help!