Referring to your answer about merging IPUMS to raw March 2011 CPS data - problem identified

Relying on your answer to the questions referenced above, I have attempted to merge IPUMS variables relating to the HIU to the CPS data (not NBER version - variable names as specified by Census) after sorting by serial number and person number (IPUMS) and HSEQ and PPPOS (CPS). I used the person weight to validate the merge and found that the match does not work correctly, starting with HSEQ=350 (record number 479).

Since the sum of the weights and the total number of records in the two files matches, the sort to assign serial numbers in the NBER/ IPUMS file must be on a variable other than HSEQ.

Given that I can’t merge the data, is there a data dictionary that can explain the code you provide for creating the HIUD variable by mapping the IPUMS variables to the code book for CPS? Thank you in advance.

0 Likes

In the question you reference, when I say that the two files share a sort order, I mean that when you first download the files, the records are in the same order. Sorting the records according to h_seq and pppos disrupts the original sort order, making the two files no longer congruent. When I sort the data as you suggest, I see many mismatched records. However, if I perform the sequential merge without sorting the records all match.

I hope this helps.

0 Likes