PUMAs missing values ACS industry

The table on “Industry by Occupation for the Civilian Employed Population 16 Years and Over” (B24050) from the 1-year ACS data has many missing values for PUMAs (years 2012-2018 at least). In contrast, the PUMA-level data downloaded from data.census.gov on the same topic appears to have observations for all PUMAs. Where does the discrepancy come from?

When I use data.census.gov to find PUMA-level data for the B24050 table (or the related C24050 table), I find blank/null values for the same set of PUMAs that are blank/null in NHGIS. Here’s a link to the census.gov results that I found (limited to Alabama PUMAs in this case). Possibly the results you found on data.census.gov aren’t for B24050? If you are able to find complete results for B24050, please share a link to those results.

1 Like

Indeed, I realized that I have used the S2403 from data.census.gov instead. I am sorry for the confusion. But this creates new questions for me. Why do I seem unable to find S2403 in NHGIS? Is there any other table in NHGIS that lists employment numbers by industry for all PUMAs?

NHGIS does not provide the subject tables from the ACS; instead, we provide the detailed ACS tables. The subject tables collate information from the detailed tables, so all information in the subject tables can be found in the detailed tables.

I recommend looking at table C24040. Sex by Industry for the Full-Time, Year-Round Civilian Employed Population 16 Years and Over or
B24040. Sex by Industry for the Full-Time, Year-Round Civilian Employed Population 16 Years and Over. The C24040 table provide employment numbers for 26 industries - the same industries listed in S2403. The B24040 table provide employment numbers for 103 industries. Given the larger number of industries in B24040, I expect some PUMAs will have no data for some industries (because that PUMA has no employees in some industries).