No place of work

I am looking at Vermont non-profit workers (23 in the class of work variable), and about 20 percent of them have no “place of work–state.” Why would that be? Can I count them as in-state workers?

Thanks for your help.

This can be explained by a difference in the Universe for each of these variables. For CLASSWKR, any respondent over the age of 16 who had worked within the past 5 years was eligible to respond. For PWSTATE2, only those over the age of 16 who had worked within the last week were eligible to respond.

Note that the non-profit workers in Vermont that are missing a PWSTATE2 value are all coded as “Has job, not working”, “Unemployed”, or “Not in Labor Force” based on EMPSTAT. In other words, you have identified persons who most recently worked for a non-profit, but who did not go to work in the previous week. These respondents are correctly coded as having no place of work.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Tim,

I am looking for the variable where I can identify non-profit workers, but I don’t see that category in the classwk or uclasswk variable. Is there still an IPUMS variable that identifies non-profit workers?

Thank you.
Julie

CLASSWKR contains two coding structures, one more general and the other more detailed. To switch to the detailed coding structure, click the circle next to Detailed codes (see screenshot below). You’ll then see that code 23 refers to Wage/salary at non-profit. Adding CLASSWKR to your extract will add both the general and detailed codes in the variables CLASSWKR and CLASSWKRD, respectively.