Missing inctot in 1950 census

The availablility of the inctot variable says that it’s available for 1950. However, after I downloaded the data I found that only 20% of the 1950 sample have non-missing inctot. Why are there so many missings? Is this how the data are, or is it due to some technical problems? Does this mean that I can’t do any analysis using the 1950 income data?

Proposed Answer:

The reason you are seeing so many missing values for INCTOT for 1950 is because the Question Universe for INCTOT in 1950 was restricted to Sample Line individuals. To generate accurate estimates from Sample Line data you will need to use the special weight variable SLWT.

I hope this helps.

OK, but I’m looking at data for the owner/operator of a ferry company on Washington Island WI. He is in the sample and worked 51 hours in 1949. But the “None” box is check on Q31a. And the form shows these hand-written notes:
31a – 9V
31b – 9V
31c – 00

What does 9V signify

Three different types of income were recorded for sample-line respondents in the 1950 Census: Salary and Wage (INCWAGE), Business and Farm (INCBUSFM), and Other (INCOTHER). Each of these correspond to questions 31a, 31b, and 31c respectively. Their sum is the variable INCTOT (total personal income). The questionnaire text for US1950A_1086, the source variable for INCWAGE, specifically mentions entering “None” as an option. However, as a business operator, their income from the business should be recorded in question 31b rather than 31a. The notes at the bottom of the questionnaire page specifically state that salaries that business owners pay themselves are not included in the value for Q31a.

As for the notes that read “9V”, this was an internal code by the census bureau used for rounding incomes above $10,000 while “00” refers to no income. However, this seems inconsistent with the “None” box being checked for 31a and may be due to an error by the clerk or enumerator. Since it can be difficult to comment on the exact transcription of individual records, you’re more than welcome to send an image of what you’re seeing to our user support team at ipums@umn.edu and we can take a closer look to see if there is a systematic issue that we can document.