Crosswalk County FIPS to PUMA/MIGPUMA from 2005-2019

1. … the link on the response for 2010 PUMAs does not work for some reason. Would there be a crosswalk file for 2010 PUMAs that is available?

IPUMS USA provides current, working links to 2010 PUMA composition files here.

(For posterity, I should note that those links are “current” and “working” as I write this but may fail at some point in the future. The link in that previous post uses an older URL on the Census website, and the Census Bureau–unfortunately!–occasionally redesigns its site without redirecting old URLs to go to new ones.)

2a. I’m trying to use the county-level election results and link them to PUMA or MIGPUMA. Would my approach work in that case?

It depends on your definition of “work”. You can use the PUMA composition files and MIGPUMA composition files to link county-level data to PUMA and MIGPUMA data, but you should know that it’s a many-to-many relationship. Some counties correspond to multiple PUMAs, and vice versa, so it’s not possible to allocate data directly from one to the other. Whether there’s an indirect method that would “work” depends on the particular aims and needs of your analysis.

2b. Did the county definition change only once in 2012 during the period of 2005-2019?
PUMA definitions changed only once in that period, with the exception of some adjustments around New Orleans in 2006 due to population loss after Hurricane Katrina. 2000 PUMAs are used through the 2011 ACS. 2010 PUMAs are used for 2012 and later ACS samples and for the 2010 decennial census sample.

There were several county definition changes during that period. This Census web page reports all significant county changes in recent decades.