Can you please help me fast track my application approval?

Hi IPUMS Team,

I am a student at the University of Sydney and have a deadline 27 Sep at 11:59pm for a STATA project that I am working on. I am writing a replication study on status exchange theory using the 5% IPUMS of the 2000 U.S. Census. I am hoping to see if someone is able to approve my account as soon as possible so that I can access the dataset I need to complete my work. I am really desperate and would not be asking unless it was urgent. I really appreciate any help and understand if it is not possible to honour my request.

Many thanks,
Youwen

Hi Youwen,

IPUMS USA provides access to U.S. decennial census microdata, such as the 2000 US census, while IPUMS International provides access to census and survey data fielded in other countries. I am seeing that you have been approved for access to IPUMS USA, therefore you should be able to access the 2000 U.S. census 5% sample there. If you have any further difficulty obtaining this data, I recommend referring to the IPUMS USA FAQ and video tutorials.

Dear Ivan,

Thank you for taking the time to solve this problem!

I’ve attached the variables I’ve selected via IPUMS International. There are some variables I couldn’t find from IPUMS USA. For example, BPLCOUNTRY, which is highlighted on the screenshot. As I am following the data selection steps made by my professor and he is using IPUMS International. It would be better to get access to the dataset as he indicated. I sincerely appreciate it!

Best,
Youwen

You are correct that the 2000 U.S. census is also available through IPUMS International. However, applications to access IPUMS International data must be reviewed by our staff to ensure the proposed research projects are appropriate as per agreements with the original data providers. Account review and approval typically take about one week. While I will see if I can expedite your account approval, I recommend using IPUMS USA based on the timeline you mentioned. As you show in your screenshot BPL in IPUMS USA is the equivalent of BPLCOUNTRY in IPUMS International. You can similarly find the variables CITIZEN, YRIMM, EMPSTAT, and others from your screenshot on IPUMS USA.

1 Like

I’ve found most of the variables from IPUMS USA. It seems that some variables are not included in IPUMS USA. They are:

HEADLOC head’s location in household
NATIVITY nativity status
YRSIMM years since immigrated

May I ask whether they’re necessarily applicable to this research? If so, in which category can I find these variables?

The research(Choi et al., 2011) I selected:
"The theoretical discussion hypothesizes that birthplace shapes educational assortative mating patterns via educational homogamy and status exchange. Testing this hypothesis requires information about nativity (foreign or native) and educational attainment.

Specifically, the research requires assess whether: (1) foreign-born spouses whose marriage partners are native born have higher education levels than foreign-born spouses whose mates are foreign born; (2) native-born spouses whose marriage partners are foreign born have lower education levels than native-born spouses whose mates are native born; and (3) the foreign-born marry native-born spouses with lower levels of education"

HEADLOC reports the head’s person number (PERNUM) within the household. Beginning with the 1980 census, the household head is the first person enumerated in the household and is identified with PERNUM = 1. NATIVITY indicates whether the person was native-born or foreign-born. This information can be obtained for the 2000 census using the CITIZEN variable. Since only foreign-born persons are in the universe for CITIZEN, all respondents with CITIZEN = 0 can be classified as native-born, while respondents with CITIZEN > 0 are foreign-born. The data available in YRSIMM (years since immigrated) should be very similar to the IPUMS USA variable YRSUSA (years in the United States).

My knowledge is in IPUMS data and documentation; I do not have experience in status exchange theory and am unable to determine whether these variables are or are not applicable to your research.