When do you anticipate you might have the METAREA variable available for the 2012 ACS PUMS? Thanks!

When do you anticipate you might have the METAREA variable available for the 2012 ACS PUMS? I am interested in the CBSA codes to approximate the metro/micropolitan area that corresponds to a PUMA. Thanks!

IPUMS-USA does not currently have a set release date for the 2012 ACS PUMA-based variables, but these variables are currently being worked on and IPUMS-USA hopes to have them available around six months from now. In the mean time, if you are interested in a specific area you may be able to identify the component PUMA codes for a specific CBSA using the TIGERweb interactive map application. Simply select ACS 2012 at the top of the Map Layers menu, and check PUMAs, and Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas form the menu. Then use the Identify tool, which is a lowercase i in a blue circle, and select the areas you are interested in to get their codes.

I hope this helps.

Do you have updated information about this?

Most of the new 2012 ACS geography variables are in their last round of testing. IPUMS-USA is anticipating having these variables released by the end of the August if not sooner.