What is ASECOVERP and is it possible to match ASEC across years for oversampled individuals?

Hello,

The description of the ASECOVERP variable says “ASECOVERP identifies people who are part of the ASEC oversample. For more information, see the technical write-up we have on this.” But there is no link provided and I wasn’t able to find this “technical write-up” using google. How can I get details on how this variable was created and what are it’s uses?

Also, is there a way to match individuals in ASEC for year to year even if they are not in the basic monthly survey? I am interested only in ASEC and not in the basic survey. This a principal resean why I am interested in the ASECOVERP variable, since using the MARBASECID and CPSID mechanism requires individuals to exist in the basic monthly survey in order for them to be matchec across years in ASEC.

Best wishes,
Adam

ASECOVERP is a simple binary variable that indicates if the record is part of the March Basic sample or the ASEC oversample. For more details about linking the ASEC samples to create a panel, this working paper is a helpful resource for users.

Thank you. I have read the paper. The paper describes the MARBASECID and CPSID mechanism which requires individuals to exist in the basic monthly survey in order for them to be matchec across years in ASEC. This is the way I understand it. My question is whether there is a way to match individuals in ASEC from year to year even if they are not in the basic monthly survey?

It is important to note that although all of the ASEC respondents participate in the Basic Monthly CPS, only the ASEC households that were administered the March Basic Monthly CPS can be matched. The tools described in the Flood and Pacas (2016) working paper focus attention on matching March Basic Monthly CPS observations to records in the ASEC. Matching ASEC respondents who are part of the oversample to some non-March Basic Monthly CPS is even more labor intensive and in some cases impossible. See the discussion about this topic starting on pg. 6 of Flood and Pasas (2016). So, although it may be conceptually possible to try to directly link from one ASEC to another, this prociedure is not supported by the CPS.

I hope this is helpful.

Yes, thank you.