Slave population by state, age, and gender

When I download slave population data from NHGIS for 1810-1860, only the data from 1810 do not contain a breakdown by age and gender.

When I search the Published Census Volumes from IPUMS USA, the first volume PDF from 1810 is listed as not available.

Do you know what happened to the 1810 data? Was it just that the collection method was not yet standardized, or were some of the data lost?

Prior to 1820, information on the age and sex of slaves was not collected, simply the number of slaves was taken down for each household.

It isn’t clear what happened to the first volume of the 1810 Census returns titled “1810 Census: Aggregate Amount of Each Description of Persons within the United States of America, and the Territories” (it is also missing from the Census Bureau’s digital collection). Unfortunately, it was probably lost at some point very long ago.

Sorry I don’t have better news.

1 Like

This is very helpful, thank you very much for the clarification. Can I ask how you knew this? Did you have to review the questions asked?

I happened to know this one off the top of my head, but you can reference the original questions available from the Census Bureau as well.

1 Like