Pre-1976 monthly CPS data

Hello,
I was wondering if it’s possible to get monthly cps data pre-1976. I see the ASEC goes back to 1962, but when I download that data the month variable only takes a value of “March”, so I am unable to create monthly data from it.

Thanks for your help,
David

IPUMS does not have any pre-1976 basic monthly CPS files. To the best of our knowledge, a complete series of basic monthly microdata files pre-1976 does not exist. A few of the (non-March) pre-1976 supplement microdata files do exist (and these include the basic monthly data). Some of these supplements are available through ICPSR.

Can you point to any technical papers or documentation on this? I assume that IPUMS researchers have written papers on what is available and the difficulty of building earlier series.

To the best knowledge of myself and the IPUMS CPS team, there is no such paper. It’s not so much that building earlier series is difficult, but that the pre-1976 basic monthly sample microdata simply do not exist anymore. There are a handful of pre-1976 non-ASEC samples that include supplement data, which exist but have not yet been harmonized by IPUMS. If there are specific samples that you are interested in, please contact ipums@umn.edu and we may be able to assist you in locating the raw data, if it exists.