Match children to their mothers

I have a sample file with 2 percent of the total population. I want to create a birth history for women. For doing this, I need to match children to their mothers. I have a column in my data in which individual’s relationship with the head of the household is mentioned. For instance, 2 is the wife of the head and etc. I want match children to their mothers so as to have column for each mother in which the age of children be specifed. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

If you can provide information about the data collection you are referring to (i.e., IPUMS USA, IPUMS DHS) and the sample(s) you are using, I will be able to assist you with your question.

1 Like

I have a sample file with 2 percent of the total population extracted from the census of Iran in 2016. I want to create a birth history for women. For doing this, I need to match children to their mothers. I have a column in my data in which an individual’s relationship with the head of the household is mentioned. Code 1 is the head of household, 2 is the wife of the head and 3 refers to children, 4 to son-in-law or daughter in low, 5 to Grandchild, 6 to father or mother and etc. For instance, in my data, the first household (ID: 16523634) has 4 members, which comprised of the head of the family which is here a man (code: 1= man, 2= women), his wife, and two children which are a son (age: 19) and a daughter(age:18). Long story short, I need to match children-who also present in data- to their mother in the household, in a way that I can have column for each mother in which the age of each children matched be specified in the column.
sample of dada and more explanation in Stak Overflow:

IPUMS International does not currently provide data from the 2016 Iran census. However, I can provide you with some information about how you might go about this based on the 2011 Iran census data that we do offer. Please keep in mind that if you are using data that is not from IPUMS, this information may not apply exactly or at all to your data. IPUMS edits, harmonizes, and recodes the data that we provide on our platform.

My understanding of your inquiry is that for each mother in your dataset, you want to create variables that each report the age of one of her children. In IPUMS International data, parents are linked to children in family interrelationship variables according to linking rules described in detail in this working paper. At the bottom of this page from IPUMS USA, there is sample code for attaching characteristics of immediate family members. Though this is specific to IPUMS USA data, it should give you an idea of how to proceed using IPUMS International data.

1 Like

Thank you so much, dear Isabel. I do appreciate your help.