iPums Guinea - How can I identify sub-prefecture?

I’ve started working with the ipums datasets from surveys in Guinea in 1983 and 1996 which have recorded not only prefectures, but also sub-prefectures, villages and/ or group quarters. However, I cannot identify these levels below the prefectures level. Does anyone happen to know how to extract information about these lower geographic units? Or has this information deliberately been excluded?

I would be very thankful if someone could shet light on this issue!

While the Guinea census in 1983 and 1996 did record geographies at lower levels than prefecture, in IPUMS-I the smallest geography available in Guinea is the prefecture. Unfortunately, since the IPUMS-I data is public-use, extra precautions need to be taken to assure confidentiality of respondents. This means that geographic information has to be quite limited. Most of the regions in Guinea have fewer than 20,000 respondents and the prefectures generally have only a few thousand respondents or less (click “Case-count view” button on linked pages). To identify smaller regions would threaten confidentiality.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your answer. I already feared something like this. Is it nevertheless possible to obtain the information on smaller geographic levels through confidentiality agreements?

I am afraid IPUMS-International is not able to grant access to restricted data. You can try contacting Guinea’s Institute National de la Statistique to see if they grant access to the restricted data.

I am sorry I could not provide the data you are looking for.