I'm looking for the fertility supplement of 1979 to 1988. Is there any reason why they are no longer available?

I would like to confirm that the fertility supplement was not collected for never married/ single women in these periods. Is there any additional source I can access these data?

The fertility supplement was fielded in 1980-1988; however these samples are not currently available on IPUMS-CPS. The IPUMS-CPS team is working to get these samples released in 2016. In the meantime, you can access the fertility supplements on the NBER website.

I hope this helps!

Hi Erin! Has the IPUMS-CPS team been able to get these samples released? I am looking for the fertility supplement variables for 1985. I did find the raw data on the NBER website, but it will take some work to get it into usable form in Stata. Thanks for any updates!

Erin has accepted a new position outside of IPUMS, but I am able to answer your question. IPUMS CPS has made the decision not to release the June 1985 Fertility and Marriage Supplement because of concerns over data quality in this sample. Specifically, there are thousands of records for children aged 0-13 in the original data with information on fertility and marital history variables, but we would expect them to be out of universe. Among those children who are included in the universe for these questions, a considerable number of the male children report having children. Additionally, many of these records has mismatched sex values between the basic monthly questionnaire and the supplement questionnaire for these data. Because of these data quality issues and a lack of documentation that might explain them, we do not offer these data via IPUMS.

Thank you so much for the quick response. That is too bad about the data quality issues.

1 Like