Current military status and CLASSWKRD


For the ACS, if someone is currently active duty military, would they be included as CLASSWKRD, 25 = Federal government? More generally, I know there is a veteran status indicator but is there a way to see if someone is currently serving?


If you cross-tabulate EMPSTATD with CLASSWKRD, you can see the answer to this question. Specifically, with EMPSTATD==14 you can identify “armed forces, at work.” In the 2018 ACS sample, over 99% of individuals with EMPSTATD==14 have CLASSWKRD==25 “Federal government employee”, the remaining <1% have CLASSWKRD==27 “State government employee.”