County-level Foreign-born Latino population in 1990 and 2000

I’m trying to locate the following:

1. 1990 County-level counts of Latinos who are foreign-born. (I can find comparable data for 2000 via NHGIS, AFF, and Dataferret but not for 1990.)

2. 2000 County-level counts for year of entry of foreign-born Latinos, disaggregated for the years 1990-2000, 1985-89, and pre-1985. (I can find data for the total FB disaggregated by these year groups, but not for the Latino FB specifically).

Folks at the Census suggested IPUMS may have these data but in looking through the forum, it seems county-level data may not be available. Any insight would be much appreciated.

It does seem like there are many more tables available for the 2000 census compared to the 1990 census. After searching myself, I was also unable to locate county-level counts of Latinos who are foreign-born in 1990. In regards to finding data on year of entry of foreign-born Latinos, disaggregated for the years 1990-2000, 1985-89, and pre-1985 your best bet is IPUMS USA. This project provides micro-data and so affords much more flexibility with data analysis. One limitation with public use micro-data is confidentiality restrictions. One implication of these restrictions is not all counties are identifiable in all samples in recent years. Indeed many counties are identifiable, but you won’t have full coverage. The lowest geographic level that is identifiable in public use data is the PUMA (public use microdata area). IPUMS USA also has a number of other geographic identifying variables such as STATEFIP and METAREA.

Here are instructions for finding county-level foreign-born Latinos for 1990:

1. Go to https://data2.nhgis.org/main (IPUMS NHGIS data finder)

2. Click the green button called DATASETS in the Apply Filters section.

3. Scroll down until you find the row called “1990_STF4b STF4b - Sample-Based Detailed Data with Race/Ethnicity Breakdown”

4. Click the green plus icon next to that row.

5. Click the SUBMIT button to apply the filter. You will see all the data tables available for that dataset.

6. Click the green TOPICS button in the Apply Filters section.

7. Find the row for “Nativity and Place of Birth”.

8. Click the green plus icon for that row.

9. Click the SUBMIT button to apply the filter. You will see the 6 data tables that deal with nativity and place of birth.

10. I think the one you want is “NPB20. Nativity, Year of Entry, and Citizenship”. Click the green plus icon to add it to your data cart.

11. Click the green CONTINUE icon in the upper right hand corner. This will take you to the Data Options page.

12. You will need to set two parameters on the data options page - geographic levels (e.g. county) and Race/Ethnicity (e.g. Hispanic)

13. You will see a hyperlink under GEOGRAPHIC LEVELS that says “0 of 33”. Click that hyperlink to open the geographic levels selection page.

14. Find the checkbox next to “County (by State)”.

15. Click the checkbox to select it, and then click the SUBMIT button.

16. Under the BREAKDOWN header, you will see a hyperlink that says “Race/Ethnicity: 1 of 50”. Click the hyperlink to open the Race/Ethnicity breakdown page.

17. The default selection is “All races”, so you will get “NPB20. Nativity, Year of Entry, and Citizenship” for all persons.

18. Look down the popup until you see “All person by race and hispanic origin”. You will want to click the checkbox next to “Hispanic origin (of any race)”.

19. Click the SUBMIT button.

20. Next, click the green CONTINUE button to go to the Review page.

21. I recommend leaving all the defaults selected. Click the SUBMIT button to submit your extract request.

You will receive a CSV file where every record is a county. You will get county-level counts for native born vs. foreign born persons for all races. You will also get county-level counts of native born vs. foreign born person who are Hispanic. The codebook that comes with your extract will tell you which columns are for all races and which are for Hispanics.

Here are instructions for finding county-level foreign-born Latinos for 2000:

1. Go to https://data2.nhgis.org/main (IPUMS NHGIS data finder)

2. Click the green button called DATASETS in the Apply Filters section.

3. Scroll down until you find the row called “2000_SF4 - Sample-Based Detailed Data with Race/Ethnicity Breakdown”

4. Click the green plus icon next to that row.

5. Click the SUBMIT button to apply the filter. You will see all the data tables available for that dataset.

6. Click the green TOPICS button in the Apply Filters section.

7. Find the row for “Nativity and Place of Birth”.

8. Click the green plus icon for that row.

9. Click the SUBMIT button to apply the filter. You will see the 35 data tables that deal with nativity and place of birth.

10. I think the one you want is “NPCT045C. Foreign-Born Population by Sex by Year of Entry”. Click the green plus icon to add it to your data cart.

11. Click the green CONTINUE icon in the upper right hand corner. This will take you to the Data Options page.

12. You will need to set two parameters on the data options page - geographic levels (e.g. county) and Race/Ethnicity (e.g. Hispanic)

13. You will see a hyperlink under GEOGRAPHIC LEVELS that says “0 of 60”. Click that hyperlink to open the geographic levels selection page.

14. Find the checkbox next to “County (by State)”.

15. Click the checkbox to select it, and then click the SUBMIT button.

16. Under the BREAKDOWN header, you will see a hyperlink that says “Race/Ethnicity: 1 of 329”. Click the hyperlink to open the Race/Ethnicity breakdown page.

17. The default selection is “All races”, so you will get “NPCT045C. Foreign-Born Population by Sex by Year of Entry” for all persons.

18. Look down the popup until you see “Hispanic or Latino”. You will want to click the checkbox next to “Hispanic or Latino (of any race)”.

19. Click the SUBMIT button.

20. Next, click the green CONTINUE button to go to the Review page.

21. I recommend leaving all the defaults selected. Click the SUBMIT button to submit your extract request.

You will receive a CSV file where every record is a county. You will get county-level counts for native born vs. foreign born persons for all races. You will also get county-level counts of native born vs. foreign born person who are Hispanic. The codebook that comes with your extract will tell you which columns are for all races and which are for Hispanics.