Correspondes Variables Original CPS

I just wanted to double check if the following variables from original CPS correspond to correct variables in IPUMS CPS:

incwage corresponds to wsal-val (-1987)
oincwage corresponds to ws-val (1988+)

incbus corresponds to semp-val (-1987)
oincbus corresponds to se-val (1988+)

incfarm corresponds to frse-val (-1987)
oincfarm corresponds to frm-val (1988+)

inclongj corresponds to ern-val (1988+)

The correspondences between the income variable names in the original ASEC microdata and in IPUMS CPS for different time periods are can be found in the tables on the income topcodes page.

1 Like

Great, thanks! This is really helpful! I have two follow-up questions:

Since ern-val corresponds to inlongj, i-ernval should correspond to qinlong. But then I am confused why i-ernval has only two categories (0 - no change or children; 1 - allocated) and qinlong has four categories (0 - no allocation; 1 - income amount allocated; 2 - income type allocated; 3 - income amount and type allocated). I am referring to 1993 code book for i-ernval, but I think it is the same for other years.

qoinbus and qoinfarm are data quaility flags for oinbus and oinfarm, respectively. Although oinbus and oinfarm start in 1988, qoinbus and qoinfarm are available for earlier years. This means that qoinbus and qoinfarm are data quality flags for incbus and incfarm the years before 1988?