What is the difference between CBSAs and MSAs?

I’ve read a bit about CBSAs and MSAs, and I’m still confused as to the difference. I’ve often seen them used interchangeably. This article also didn’t help to explain the difference. It seems that Core-based statistical areas (CBSAs) are smaller than Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSA) and consist of a core of at least 10,000 and surrounding areas of high degree of economic and social integration, while MSAs consist of 50,000 or more? Then MSAs are larger delineations?

I’m asking because I was asked to analyze the CBSA for New York using IPUMS ACS data, but can only find variables for the MSA–met2013. CPS has a CBSASZ variable that measure population size of CBSAs. So, I need clarity on this so I can explain it to my research team.

So, what’s the basic difference between MSAs and CBSAs and for which area can I use IPUMS ACS and corresponding shape files to analyze the New York metro area?

Thanks. Kasey

1 Like

CBSA’s consist of two types: Metropolitan Statistical Areas (core with >50,000 population) and Micropolitan Statistical Areas (core with 10,000-50,000 population). This is described on pp. 7-8 of the first document you linked. Currently only Metro areas are available in a harmonized variable in IPUMS USA. You can attempt to identify some micropolitan areas yourself using COUNTYFIP and the county composition of CBSA’s detailed in the files available from the Census Bureau here.

Please see this page for more info on linking microdata with shapefiles.

Thanks for the clarification, Matthew. So, the CBSA is a larger more general designation and Metro and Micro statistical areas are contained with them, essentially. That’s the part I think I was missing. Thanks for the link to the shape files.