U.S. Census mortality schedules 1850-1880

To whom it may concern:

I was wondering if the U.S. Census mortality schedules 1850-1880 micro dataset is available yet through IPUMS USA and if it is not yet, then if IPUM has any plan to release the micro dataset this year or any time soon.

Thank you!

While we do not currently provide microdata from the Mortality Schedules from 1850-1880 on IPUMS USA, we may be able to share a preliminary version of the data with you. I have passed your information along to another IPUMS staff member, who will contact you by email. We also provide some summary tables based on the Mortality Schedules on IPUMS NHGIS. These tables include counts of deaths at the national level. You can find these summary tables by searching for “deaths” in topics in the NHGIS data finder:

1 Like

Dear Isabel,
I am also looking for the mortality schedules. In particular, I am interested in getting aggregate (county/state) measures by cause of death. Have you collected also some preliminary version of this information? If so, any chance that you would be willing to share it with me?
Many thanks in advance for you help,
Costanza

IPUMS NHGIS provides a few summary tables from the census Mortality Schedules from the 19th century. You can find them on IPUMS NHGIS by searching for Deaths as the topic in the data finder. We also provide some summary tables on mortality from the 20th century, but those data come from Vital Statistics data rather than the Mortality Schedules of the census. None of these tables include information on cause of death.

IPUMS USA hopes to provide microdata from the Mortality Schedules in the future. We may be able to share a preliminary version of the data with you. If that is of interest to you, please send us an email at ipums@umn.edu and a member of our staff will follow up with you.

1 Like