Trouble decompressing file

Hello,
I am having trouble unzipping my data extract. I downloaded CPS data over several years. When I try decompressing the file in both Mac and Windows, I get an “unexpected end of file” error. Any idea about why this might be? Could the file be too large? Thank you.

1 Like

IPUMS is looking into an issue on our end that seems to be producing faulty gzip files. I will let you know when we have learned more about the issue and resolved it.

Our IT group has identified the issue and implemented a fix for this problem. You should be able to simply re-download your requested data file; you do NOT need to resubmit your extract. Please let us know if you experience any further issues.

Hi Alan, Kari,

I hope you’re both well in health and spirit these days.

I’m seeing the same issue with ACS extracts. I’ve tried a number of times, even with minimal files of just a handful of variables and get the “unexpected end of file” error too. I’ve tried decompressing under both Windows and Linux.

Alan: did you find this resolved on your end?

Kari: could this stilll be an issue for the ACS extracts?

Thanks so much for your help!
Dave

I was trying to download the compressed data to a remote server that I’m accessing from my Windows machine via samba. This thread describes the problem:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/6358ccaa/

Once I downloaded directly to my windows machine I didn’t have a problem.

Apologies for any time spent addressing this. Many thanks, Dave

Hi Kari,
Is there a chance that this error cropped back up again? I have tried downloading my .dat file a couple of times and every time I try to unpack it I get Error 79 on my mac. I also tried unpacking it in the terminal and was unsuccessful there as well. It’s a small extract, so I don’t think it’s a file size issue. Just trying to figure out what end this problem is originating from!
Thank you,
Kate

I was unable to replicate this issue with your data extract. I was able to decompress the file and read it into Stata. If you are still not able to decompress the files, please email ipums@umn.edu so we can provide more targeted help.

1 Like

I am following up on this post to note that we also generally encourage users to try The Unarchiver for decompressing data files; occasionally the .gz extension poses a unique issue for Mac users.

1 Like

Hello Karl, I use the unarchiver and the file still won’t open. I am not sure which step went wrong, what shall I do? Thank you so much for your help!

I am just following up to indicate that I think this question was resolved in another post.