Select cases using MISH

Just a quick comment: Since IPUMS-CPS has done such a great job cleaning up the Outgoing Rotation Group variables, it would be nice to be able to select cases using MISH, so that one can easily restrict to MISH = 4 or MISH = 8 (as these are the only times the ORG is conducted). It would make it easier than downloading 4 times as much data as needed only to delete 75% of observations.

Thanks again for your work!

This is a nice idea and we can certainly consider adding this functionality in the future. Do note, however, that you can use the ELIGORG variable in the Select Cases tool. This variable is a dichotomous variable indicating if the respondent is eligible for the Earner Study (Outgoing Rotation Group) questions. It should essentially have the same effect as using MISH in the Select Cases tool.

I’d like to second the request to be able to select cases by MISH.

The ELIGORG variable isn’t quite the same. ELIGORG only selects people in MISH 4/8 who were employed (and excluding self-employed).

Suppose for example that I want to group workers into three categories: [hourly workers, non-hourly workers, unemployed workers]. PAIDHOUR is an outgoing rotation group variable. ELIGORG excludes the unemployed and self-employed, so it would be helpful to select cases on MISH instead.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion–I can appreciate how this differentiation is helpful in your specific use case. Currently, we do not allow for case selection using MISH. However, I will share this request with the IPUMS CPS team.