Missing observation from Regency Aceh Tenggara in Indonesia 1971 census

Hello, I am looking at Indonesia 1971 census micro-data and find that there is no observation from Regency Aceh Tenggara (Southeast Aceh) using variable ID1971A_REGENCY. This is puzzling because Southeast Aceh is a large regency in Province Aceh and its population information is available in the 1971 popoulation census publication book.

My guess is that observations from this regency were counted into another regency. By matching the population from micro-dataset and population publication, it seems they were counted into Aceh Selatan (South Aceh). My questions are: 1) is my guess right? 2) is this a mistake or there is a specific reason for this?

Thanks a lot!

In the microdata that we have from the Indonesian statistical agency, there is no Southeast Aech in the 1971 census. Southeast Aech starts showing up starting in 1980. For 1971, this area is harmonized with “Central Aech”, which means that Central Aech breaks up to form Southeast Aech and Central Aech sometime between 1971 and 1981. My best guess is that combining these geographic areas was done to preserve confidentiality of respondents within the microdata.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I agree that if being harmonized, “Southeast Aceh” should be harmonized with “Central Aceh”.

However, if I calculate number of population in each province (aggregated with person weights), it’s 105,043 for “Central Aceh” from 1971 micro-data, which is the same number as in census publication book. For “South Aceh”, the number from micro-data is 343,627, which is much larger than “234,785” in census publication book, but very similar to the sum of population in south aceh and southeast aceh (234,785+122,818). That’s why I guess it was harmonized with “south aceh”… Thanks again!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

I agree that if being harmonized, “Southeast Aceh” should be harmonized with “Central Aceh”.

However, if I calculate number of population in each province (aggregated with person weights), it’s 105,043 for “Central Aceh” from 1971 micro-data, which is the same number as in census publication book. For “South Aceh”, the number from micro-data is 343,627, which is much larger than “234,785” in census publication book, but very similar to the sum of population in south aceh and southeast aceh (234,785+122,818). That’s why I guess it was harmonized with “south aceh”… Thanks again!