I need to calculate the " STATAXAC " variable (state taxes after deducting tax credits) in the IPUMS-CPS.

I need to estimate STATAXAC before 2005, but I’m not being able to match STATAXAC from 2005 onwards.

STATAXAC is the amount of state tax liability, after tax credits are deducted, being the tax credits the additional child tax credit (ACTCCRD) and the earned income tax credit (EITCRED). However, I cannot match STATAXAC whatever I try. My best guess, which it doesn’t match, is that I should subtract these credits from state taxes before credit as:

STATAXAC= STATETAX- (ACTCCRD+EITCRED)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

These values are generated by the Census Bureau using the Census Bureau’s tax model, which simulates individual tax returns to produce estimates of federal, state, and payroll taxes. The model incorporates information from non-CPS sources, such as the Internal Revenue Service’s Statistics of Income series, the American Housing Survey, and the State Tax Handbook. So, while it is possible to match STATAXAC from STATETAX (accounting for the fact that if STATETAX is 999999 or 0 then STATAXAC should also be 999999 or 0), it is unlikely that you will be able to match all of the values. I’m sorry I don’t have a more satisfying answer. I would recommend contacting the Census Bureau directly if you wish to pursue this further.