How do I narrow down the variable INCRETIR to the county level?

Hello,

I’m trying to measure access to retirement either through pensions, savings for retirement, 401K plans, DB/DC plans, etc. I was wondering if the INCRETIR variable would be a good variable to gauge this. If not, what other variable could I use? After finding the appropriate variable, I need to narrow down my data to the county I live in (Ventura County, CA). If anyone has any information on this, I’d be very appreciative. Thank you.

0 Likes

INCRETIR will only identify those individuals who reported received retirement, survivor, and disability pension income, other than Social Security in the past 12 months (for ACS). This is not a perfect measure of who has access to retirement, especially if you are wanting to include people who were not currently retired. I don’t believe there are any variables that directly measure access to retirement funds.

Ventura County, CA can be identified in the by STATEFIP==6 (California) and COUNTY==1110 (Ventura County). Currently, the COUNTY variable in the 1-year 2012 ACS file in IPUMS-USA does not identify Ventura County, however the PUMAs 11101-11106 (when STATEFIP==6) do identify Ventura County in 2012. With the next update to the IPUMS-USA website Ventura County will be identified for the 1-year 2012 ACS. I hope this helps.

0 Likes