Household income by race

I’m using ACS PUMS and trying to figure out % of households below X income breakdown by race of householder and spouse. The analysis unit is household as I want total household income so household weight should to be applied here, but I also want to include household head and his/her spouse’s race data which is a person level variable and person weight seems to be needed. Should I use both weights: household weight to determine N of households below X income and then person weight to calculate racial counts and percentages? Or can I simply use HHWT for both household level HHINCOME variable and person level RACE variable in my calculation?

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

Since your ultimate statistic is at the household level you should be using the household-level sampling weights. Here are the steps I’d take to perform this analysis (of course, there are more than one way to do anything): First, create a variable that indicates the race of the householder. Second, create a variable that indicates if a household is below X in household income. Third, using the household-level sampling weight calculate the percent of households fall under X in household income by race of the householder. Finally, repeat this same process except in the first step identify the race of the spouse of the householder (if one exists).

0 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation, very helpful!

0 Likes