I just wanted to double check that my workflow made sense:
I’m working a project in which I need census block group data on race and hispanic ethnicity to create tract-level segregation indices to look at changing segregation patterns over time. I am using data from 2000, 2009-2013, and 2015-2019. My workflow is a follows:
- obtain 2000 block group data that is harmonized to 2010 boundaries using the time series tables from data finder
- merge harmonized 2000 data (which are in 2010 boundaries) with 2009-2013 and 2015-2019 block group data
- use the GISJOIN variable to identify respective census tract of each set of block groups
- create segregation indices for each census tract based on block group data
- retain segregation estimates for tract data and merge with master tract level dataset
I think this works, but wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Thanks.