Disability weights in 2008-2009

In 2008-2009 the NHIS included several yes/no disability questions (in IPUMS, DISHEARP, DISEEP, DISCONP, DISWALKP, DISDRESSP, DISERRANDP) to people included in the family disability test questions (Q4 only for 2008).

The IPUMS NHIS weights sections for these variables (for example, IPUMS NHIS: descr: DISWALKP) says that SUPP1WT corresponds to the disability test questions in 2008 and 2009, but in the extract I just downloaded all SUPP1WT is NA for those years.

Further, the SUPP1WT universe page (IPUMS NHIS: descr: SUPP1WT) doesn’t list 2008 or 2009 as years where the weight is available.

What weight should I use to analyze the family disability test questions in 2008 and 2009?

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I think an error somewhere in our processing pipeline removed the 2008 and 2009 SUPP1WT data in loading the data to the IPUMS NHIS website (based on all documentation I am seeing this is the correct weight to analyze the family disability test questions). We are looking into this issue and will share an update once we have more information.

It seems that SUPP1WT has never been available for these samples via IPUMS; the IPUMS NHIS team is reviewing documentation with the hopes of making the variable available with their next release. If SUPP1WT is not available for 2008 and 2009 by mid-to-late April, please follow up so I can provide an update on the status of including this variable or provide guidance on how to appropriately weight analyses that use the disability test questions from 2008 and 2009.