CPS supplements that IPUMS is planning on coding: What are supplements that might be coded in the next 1-2 years?

I just wanted to know what the upcoming plans were for future CPS supplements. I was looking at this website: https://www.census.gov/programs-surve…

And noticed that there were several surveys that weren’t coded yet, including one on Volunteering and Civic Life (2017), and several in 2018 (Displaced Worker, Job Tenure/Occ Mobility, Public Participation in the Arts, etc).

Thank you for all that you do.

Best,

Jonathan

The IPUMS CPS team, generally aims to release the harmonized IPUMS versions of supplements as soon as possible after the data are publicly available. It can take up to a month from when the data are available to when the data appear online at IPUMS CPS. A notable exception is in the case of new supplements. The IPUMS CPS team prefers to wait until multiple supplement samples are available. This helps prevent redundancies in our harmonization process and allows for adjustments made by the BLS to be fully taken into account.

Is the Civic Engagement/Volunteering supplement considered a new supplement? I thought it was the same questions as the civic engagement supplement and volunteering supplement. In any case, I would love to know if that’s something you’re planning on harmonizing soon.

Thank you for all you do.

That is a good question. It looks like starting with the 2017 September sample, the volunteer and civic engagement supplements have been redesigned and combined into one supplement. I’ve sent a note to the IPUMS CPS Team to take a look at this. We do have plans of making this data available, I cannot however provide an accurate prediction of when this data will be available via IPUMS CPS.

Thanks for checking in about it. Please let me know if you hear anything back about it.