Jasmine Trang Ha has helpfully organized her county crosswalk files for sharing, and I’ve put them in a zip file at:
A few notes:
* There are four crosswalk files that go from 1970, 1980, 2000, and 2010 to _1990 counties_.
* These crosswalk files are stored in Stata .dta format, and Jasmine has provided related Stata code and a readme file. If you’re unable to use these, please reply, and we can transform the data to CSV or another simple format.
* If you have questions about how to use the four crosswalk files, I suggest you email Jasmine directly (address available through link above).
* Jasmine, along with Jack DeWaard, intends to publish a working paper about this product soon, hopefully by the end of the summer. If you use the data in another product, you should be able to cite that paper.
* The archive also includes a CSV version of the original “complete” crosswalk I provided to Jasmine, which supplies estimated populations for every spatial intersection among the 1790-2000 definitions of counties. You could use this to generate a crosswalk between the counties of any pair of years from 1790 through 2000. (The main reason the crosswalk does not include 2010 is that it is based on the 2000-TIGER version of NHGIS county definitions, which are not consistent with the 2010 county definitions. There is not currently a version of NHGIS county definitions that covers the entire period 1790-2010.)