Are chronic condition indicators (hypertension, HD, diabetes, lung disease, stroke) on the 1994-95 NHIS?

I need some assistance in locating certain variables on the NHIS core or person-level 1994 and 1995 files.

In particular, I am looking for smoking status (current, former, never) and chronic condition indicators including hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, lung disease, stroke, cancer.

I have used the 1997 to 2004 NHIS data with these variables, but I am having trouble locating the variables on the 1994 and 1995 files.

These are the codebooks that I have been using to locate the variables. Can you tell me if these variables are available on the 1994 and 1995 files?

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Dataset_Documentation/NHIS/1994/

ftp://ftp.cdc.gov/pub/Health_Statistics/NCHS/Dataset_Documentation/NHIS/1995/

Thanks, Kim

IHIS has variables addressing smoking in 1994 and 1995, hypertension for 1994, “Currently being treated for cancer” in 1995, “had diabetes during last 12 months” in 1995, and many other variables from the Condition Record for both 1994 and 1995. To identify the source NHIS variable, simply click on the “NHIS Sources” tab when viewing a variable. For example The variable DIABETICYR (“had diabetes during last 12 months”) is based on the NHIS Source DIABETES from the Year 2000 Supplement. You can also use the IHIS Concordance Tool.

I hope this helps.