Any variables that can be used to get the total number of children in the household in NHIS data?

I am studing childless couples and want to use NHIS data 1980-2014. Is there a consistent variable in NHIS that allows one to deremine the total number of children in the housheold (total includes own, adopted, and step children) for each year 1980-2014. So far, I browsed IHIS datasets, but could not detrmined such variable (there are some relevant variables but they are observed only in a specific year). I also tried downloading NHIS questionnares for a number of different years (english version), but had trouble with pages noit loading. Any guidance is highly appreciated!

0 Likes

In the IHIS data, you can use the RELATE variable to determine the number of children in a household. Specifically, RELATE=41 identifies a biological, adopted, in-law, step, or foster child of the householder. RELATE=43 identifies a child of the householder’s unmarried partner. RELATE=44 identifies a child of an ineligible householder (use with caution). You can create a total count of the number of children in a household using a statistical package such as SAS, STATA, or SPSS.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes