2016 ACS Poverty

I am trying to calculate the national poverty rate using the 2016 1-year sample ACS, but my numbers are not lining up with what is published in the American Fact Finder here: (https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/t…). I understand that the estimates will not line up, due to differences in defining poverty at the household vs. family levels. However, I would expect the weighted Ns to line up between the two estimates. I am calculating a weighted N of 315,754,035 cases with poverty data while Fact Finder has 315,165,470. Am I wrong in thinking that those two numbers should line up?

Here is my code in Stata:

gen povlevel = .

replace povlevel = . if poverty==0

replace povlevel = 1 if poverty < 100 & poverty !=.

else replace povlevel = 2 if poverty <200 & poverty >= 100 & poverty !=.

else replace povlevel = 3 if poverty >= 200 & poverty !=.

svyset cluster [pweight=perwt], strata(strata)

svy: tab povlevel

Thanks in advance!

Renee

0 Likes

As you have noted, estimates are expected to differ due to differences in defining poverty at the household vs. family levels. Additionally, statistics reported in American Fact Finder use full-count census data, whereas IPUMS USA provides a sample of the data (unless you are using full-count samples from 1850-1940), therefore, you can expect estimates as well as a weighted N to be slightly different between the two.

0 Likes