For my master thesis research, I wish to match individual respondents of the March supplement to their responses in the basic questionnaires over the years 2000-2013.
I have read pretty much all the relevant Q&As for this issue, and it seems to me the procedure I should implement is the following:
- Download NBER March Supplement data for each year you are interested and append (?) the files to generate one dataset which should share the same sort order as the IPUMS data extract (I am thinking of downloading from the NBER CPS supplements page)
- Extract the IPUMS-CPS March Supplement data without restricting sample to specific cases (of age, state, employment status, etc.)
- Perform a sequential merge between the two datasets while retaining the IPUMS data and the necessary identifiers from the NBER data to perform the match
- Extract the IPUMS-CPS basic files for other months
- Append these to the merged IPUMS-NBER file
- Use the procedure outlined by the NBER to match individuals
Is it correct?