Longitudinal Sampling Bias?

In the documentation explaining how to link CPS respondents over time, I found the following claim: “if the occupants of a residence move out, they are replaced in the sample by the new people who move in. The prior occupants of the residence are no longer included in the CPS” (Drew, Flood, and Warren 2014). I am interpreting this as meaning that if a household is sampled say for four months and then moves sometime during the next eight months, it will not be generally be included in the CPS for the second sampling of four months (MISH in {5, 6, 7, 8}). But “no longer included” means to me that their responses from the first four months of sampling are still included; it is just that the CPS does not track the household to the new residence. This strikes me as a source of non-random sampling in the longitudinal aspect of the CPS, since we only observe MISH > 1 for non-movers. Am I misinterpreting what this documentation is saying, or is this correct and are there weights that account for this sampling non-randomness?

I apologize for asking this question here if it has an easy answer posted somewhere, but I have been unable to find additional discussion of this topic even in the documentation cited.

Thank you!

The CPS follows households, not people. Extrapolating on your example, if occupants (family A) move out of a household in the 8 months between MISH4 and MISH 5, and new occupants (family B) move in, the household will remain in the CPS, but will report on family A for the first four months (MISH 1-4) and family B for the second four months (MISH 5-8). IPUMS CPS has constructed a number of weights for leveraging the panel component of the CPS: LNKFM1MWT, LNKFW1YWT, LNKFW8WT, LNKFWMIS14WT, and LNKFWMIS58WT. More information is available about linking from our 2018 workshop on leveraging the panel component of the CPS; you may find the presentation on weights of particular interest.